Sunday, December 4, 2011

Did I say dolce ???


Monte Blanc

Today a group of us from school discovered this restaurant near Campo Fiori.  It was the best meal I have had so far in Rome.  It was friday so we feasted on traditional Baccala.  Fish ( salt cod) that has been preserved by salt and dried... it is soaked for a long time to reconstitute it and then this particular dish had it cooked with tomato, onions and raisins.  It was fantastic.   (see more about it http://italianfood.about.com/od/fishdishes/a/aa110897.htm A little sweet, (but of course) with a tartness and a saltiness that was perfect.  The texture of the fish was hartier that a fresh fillet would be.  It was flaky with a texture.  I couldn't tell if it was only baked or if there had been an additional cooking method.  The complexity was simply divine. ( I am going to guess the cooking method was far simpler than I fantasize that it was).  I also ordered roasted potatoes, ok, these were wonderful.  The potatoes were sweet, the olive oil infused with rosemary, warm roasted and the residual oil was perfect for the perfectly crust bread that was fluffy inside.  I finished with a Monte Blanc (pictured above).  yum the crunch of the meringue and the soft cream one of my favorite combinations.  Actually, my Aunt Avril in Scotland made meringues once when we visited and served tow stuck together with double cream that was so thick it worked like a glue to hold the two meringues together.  This was so great I can still see them cooling off on the counter in her kitchen. I love double cream I can just eat it by the spoonful! Unfortunately we had to run back to school for an intensive language class in the afternoon so we couldn't linger, which was probably good because I was dangerously close to staying there until dinner or having a second helping of the baccala.

No comments:

Post a Comment