Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Market Visit- Soverato, Calabria Italy

This is the local market about a 20 minute drive from me.  We will be shopping for our food stuffs at these markets regularly and Im very excited to watch the continuing seasonal changes reflected in the offerings.  When I was in Rome I saw an abundance of artichokes as it was just the beginning of the season upon my arrival.  As these phase out the changes show. In the southern regions of Italy there are differences as it is about 10 degrees warmer here.  Prolific fish as I am on the sea. Oranges and clementines, huge bulbs of fennel, mushrooms that don't have an actual name, raw honey of several varieties and the list goes on.

 Awesome sun dried figs, nuts seeds, procini mushrooms (dried) cookies a bounty and a fun group of guys here.




The local women picking through the nearly perfect vine ripened fruit, oranges, clementines and lemons.  They laughed at the " tourista" taking photos.

Pineapples , still trying to figure out where they come from,  the roman eat them after meals in nearly restaurant I went to.  I am told the Italians don't really eat a lot of desserts, they end meals sometimes with fruit if they want sweet.

Fish , some with the hooks still in fresh caught today!

 For my Nephews, look at this fish

A fellow classmate and his wife. We were enjoying mingling , practicing our italian and cracking up everyone while we took photos of odd things like vegetables.

Some of the gang.

No comments:

Post a Comment