Friday, November 11, 2011

Airriva

We made it, nearly missing the connection in Chicago -a very fast run thru Ohare allowed us to jump on as doors closed.  Ate a meal then snoozed until we arrived.

As I begin on this journey and learn the language, I'll admit that for now I'll fake it.  Arriva! I am here.  A first beautiful day in Rome.  Plenty of walking and a little eating... a meat plate of cured and smoked meats and a plate of assorted cheeses.  A fine place, I get the feeling everyone here is laughing at me. I noticed that when I was here before.  Im trying to get into the swing and not stand out awkwardly but joyfully and enthusiastically.  I hit the jack pot when wondering in to one of the many random places I will visit.  A gelato palace, I had a triple flavored cone topped with....wait for it... real whipped heavy cream.  better than my version I make at home, and mine is good, I think the cows here are happier.  I envision them roaming their happy green hillsides lazily nibbling away at the greenest of pure grasses smiling as they go.
I am sitting in my large apartment. I am blessed in many ways.. The sounds of my neighbors doing whatever Italians do in the evening here in this quiet neighborhood.  I am sure that over the days, I will learn just what they do and how I can do it too. I can hear window grates opening, it seems all of the apartments have these shades that come down like a storefront protection, it allows air thru and privacy when closed.  It seems a tradition to arrive home in the evening and open them up.  Motor scooters zip down my narrow road and various voices carry up to my open window.  It is getting cooler.  I barely needed a sweater today.  I glimpsed the very top of the Vatican today...Rome... Also walked through a huge market where fish mongers were filleting tiny and huge fish alike, flower sellers arranged colorful bouquets and fruit stands perfumed the air.  It was a good day.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds beautiful and romantic and relaxing and... when can I come out to visit. Please-o-please buy a villa in Tuscany so we can all come have a stitch-n-savor at your wonderful new home.

    We miss you already!

    ReplyDelete