Tuesday, January 3, 2012

San Gimignano

Evening in San Gimignano is a beautiful event.  From the vantage point of this picturesque place high above the Tuscan lands it is easy to see why Tuscany is considered a favorite place for tourists and dreamers alike.  It is December in Tuscany,  this particular day was cold.  Things are quiet this time of year as it is the Holiday season and tourism slows.  It is a nice time to visit although many things are closed,  most importantly the famous gelato place in this town :(.  Gelateria di Piazza.  I have read about it and arrived to find it closed until what looks like February.  Too bad for me.  Not that I haven't had the opportunity to discover many places along my travels.  It is about 30 degrees and I am sad not to be able to eat this gelato.  I indulge in some holiday Biscotti ( yummy cookies)  instead.  As it is getting dark these photos are in rather dim light and do not do justice to this pretty place.  As I walked around I stumbled upon an man reciting Dante' Divine Comedy up on a high part above the main walking streets near a park overlooking the farms below.  The sun was setting and he was very seriously taking on the task of his recitation.  

The beautiful narrow walking streets of this village.

Scenic nooks

 Rooftops and stone buildings of the region


Bella Tuscana


This lovely setting is a cafe perched on a high cliff/ hillside above farms and vineyards.  It is quite dark now but it would surely make a lovely spot for a cup of tea.


No comments:

Post a Comment